Saturday, January 5, 2008

Free the Net

I've been working with a startup called Meraki over the past few weeks to set up a repeater in my house in North Beach. I've joined the cause and I'm trying to help them with an initiative that aims to spread the love with free internet service in the city of San Francisco. The success of the project will be dependent on volunteers around SF to install a free wireless device that will grow the network. I've been following the story for a while now but it looks like they are finally ramping up and preparing to bring all their planning to life.

It seems like a great project and I'm interested to see how it will work. Will it provide a fast and reliable connection? Will it be better than my current Comcast connection? And if Meraki is a business, how will they make money to stay afloat?

Here is a recent article CNN did on Meraki. They indicate that they'll need between 10,000 & 15,000 volunteers to install repeaters to get the network up and running.

Want to get a repeater and help the cause, check them out here.


No comments: