Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mining Thought Streams

Over the past week Twitter has replaced Google and Wikipedia as my tool for search. Twitturly has been bumped to the top of my list for places to find current events, competing with Digg & popurls and recently learned about Twittersphere that provides a similar service. I monitor Twitterfic and use it to converse with friends just as frequently as IM.

Twitter is expanding at a ridiculous rate and that is giving rise to the notion of
mining thought streams. Access to a real-time search engine that allows you to search what is happening right now is extremely valuable. It's a database of intentions that allows us to map our culture but also makes it easier to find (and release) trends and current events. There's a real opportunity for expanding the capability for searching Twitter and I'm looking for them to release an application that allows users to sift, sort, track and anlyze tweets.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you might give twittersphere.com a shot; it's a popurls sibling

Laura said...

Hiya. Congrats! I nominated you for the 'I know your blog is fabulous award'. Come on by and take a look. Have a great weekend!

jc said...

This is a fantastic article. As always. I agree with the mining thought streams in the future as a huge possibility to answer: what's next.

You are tres inspiring to me.
http://copyfighter.blogspot.com/

modemlooper said...

Thanks for the plug. Originally TwitterFic was going to be just another listing site. Zzzzzzz. So I decided to up it with profiles and follower interaction. It's fan fiction in real time.